2018 EFAC Graduation Trip Participants
We’re happy that you’ll be joining us on our 2nd annual EFAC graduation trip to Kenya, October 4th - 14th , 2018. Please note that travelers should depart the US on October 3rd. Click here for a draft itinerary.
While you’ll still receive emails from us with important deadlines and information, this private web page offers a central location for ALL trip information. Please bookmark it, as it can’t be accessed directly from our website, and refer to it as needed to make sure you’re current on all the Grad Trip information!
March 2018 Update:
We recommend booking your flights as soon as you’re sure of your travel plans. There are several airlines with connecting flights to Nairobi: British Airways, Lufthansa, SwissAir and Emirates. Lufthansa and SwissAir have better pricing and decent connections. BA has become very expensive and books up quickly, and Emirates now requires flying into JFK or spending about 10 hours in Dubai! Be aware that all flights require some layover time when connecting to or from Nairobi.
Please email your flight information to Nana Kennedy email@example.com as soon as you have booked it, as we will need to make arrangements for transportation between Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and the hotel in Nairobi. We will also let you know if others on the trip are traveling on the same flight(s) that you are.
Visas are required to enter Kenya. We recommend that you apply online at http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html approximately 2-3 months in advance; online applications are usually confirmed within a week, but we may need your visa information prior to September. Please add this to your calendar! (Single-entry visas must be used within 6 months of issue.)
Before starting the eVisa application, gather the following:
1. Have your passport handy, as you’ll need to provide the number & date of issue/expiration.
2. Additional electronic documents (round-trip flight confirmation is ideal; also ok is a travel itinerary) proving you will be leaving Kenya within 90 days of arrival.
3. A digital photo of 500px x 500px max (you can use a scanned passport photo or a “selfie” for this, just make sure size is correct), which you will need to upload to application form.
4. A scanned copy or photo of the biodata page on your passport (the page with your photo, name and biographical data).
5. You will be asked for where you are staying during your visit: Fairview Hotel, Bishops Road, Nairobi.
Phone: +254 20 288 1000
6. A credit card for online payment (Visa or MasterCard Credit or Debit card). Amex not accepted.
Health & Safety
The following info is required by the safari company in advance of the trip. Please send to me by May 1st:
1. A list of your specific dietary requirements, medical conditions and/or allergies
2. A US emergency contact for each traveler or couple (name/phone/relationship)
3. Register with Flying Doctors (medical evacuation provider) at http://www.flydoc.org
Visit the CDC website at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/kenya for current medical requirements for travel to Kenya. Check with your physician or insurance company for recommended travel doctors and allow enough time before the trip to schedule your visit.
If you tend toward motion sickness, I personally recommend bringing Bonine or another medication, as the roads to some of the rural schools and on the safari can be very bumpy! The CDC site also has a comprehensive list of other suggested OTC medications to bring.
Additional information, such as the itinerary/schedule, suggested items to pack, and the “dress code,” will be shared as we get closer to the trip.
If you have any questions, please contact Nana Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org.